Home | About us | Editorial board | Ahead of print | Current issue | Archives | Search | Submit article | Instructions | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact us |  Login 
National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery
 
Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Users Online: 151
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 12  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 42-49

Nasoorbitoethmoid fractures in a tertiary care hospital of eastern India: A prospective study


Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, SCB Dental College and Hospital, Cuttack, Odisha, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Niranjan Mishra
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, SCB Dental College and Hospital, Cuttack, Odisha
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/njms.NJMS_151_20

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to report on the pattern of occurrence of nasoorbitoethmoid (NOE) fractures in Odisha and the various factors that influence their distribution. Methods: The study period was from January 1, 2016 to December 15, 2017. After approval from the Institutional Ethics Committee, all patients diagnosed with naso-orbito-ethmoid fractures reporting to the department of OMFS and Level-1 trauma centers were included in the study. Sociodemographic data along with the etiology and type of fracture were mentioned. Associated injuries to other body parts were noted. Open reduction was possible only in five cases of NOE fractures. The treatment plan including the operative approach and postoperative results was evaluated. Results: A total of 1192 patients with facial fracture were seen, of which 52 (4.36%) patients had NOE fractures. Males far outnumbered females in a ratio of 9:1. Thirty-three patients (63.46%) had unilateral NOE fracture, while the rest 19 (36.54%) had bilateral NOE fracture. Sixteen (30.76%) cases were classified as Type I, 35 (67.30%) as Type II, and 1 (1.92%) as Type III. Road traffic accidents were the most common cause of NOE fractures (69%), followed by fall (17%) and assault (10%). The most common neurological injury to be associated with NOE fractures was pneumocephalus (29%), followed by diffuse axonal injury (8%). Telecanthus (100%) was found to be the primary clinical feature in patients of NOE fracture, followed by a depressed nasal bridge (92%). Fracture of the nasal bone was invariably associated with NOE fracture. Complications observed due to untreated NOE fractures included a shortened and retruded nose, shortened palpebral fissures, telecanthus, and enophthalmos. Conclusion: Contemporary management of NOE complex fractures demands precise diagnosis and immediate surgical management with anatomic reduction and rigid fixation of the involved bone segments. With an improvement in socioeconomic status and increased awareness among maxillofacial surgeons, hopefully, a greater number of NOE fracture patients will avail the benefits of open reduction in future.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed70    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded21    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal