Home | About us | Editorial board | Ahead of print | Current issue | Archives | Search | Submit article | Instructions | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact us |  Login 
National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery
 
Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Users Online: 54
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 10  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 141-145

Microflora analysis in the postchemotherapy patients of oral cancer


1 Department of Microbiology, King Georges Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
2 Department of Respiratory Medicine, King Georges Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
3 Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, King Georges Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Seema Singh
Department of Respiratory Medicine, King Georges Medical University, Lucknow - 226 003, Uttar Pradesh
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/njms.NJMS_7_19

Rights and Permissions

Background: To assess changes in oral microflora in dental plaque from cancer patients within 7 days of the first course of chemotherapy and the relationship of the changes with mucositis. Materials and Methods: Thirty cancer patients, divided into a test group undergoing chemotherapy and a control group not undergoing chemotherapy, were enrolled in this pilot study. Oral microflora was cultured from three samples of dental plaque at t0 (before chemotherapy), t1 (1 day after chemotherapy), and t2 (7 days after chemotherapy). Single and crossed descriptive analyses were used to establish prevalence, and the Chi-square test was used to establish the statistical significance of the differences observed in distributions (significance level: P < 0.05). Results: In most patients (55%), oral microflora consisted mainly of Gram-positive cocci, while the remaining 45% of the bacterial flora also had periodontal-pathogenic species. No Porphyromonas gingivalis appeared in the test group. Actinobacillus was the least frequently found bacterium among periodontal pathogens in the test group, while Fusobacterium nucleatum was the most frequently found. No significant differences were found in quantitative bacterial changes between t0, t1, and t2 in either the test or control groups, or between the two groups. According to World Health Organization scores, oral mucositis developed in 10 patients (66.6%) in the test group. Conclusions: The results of this pilot study indicate that there were no changes in microflora in dental plaque in cancer patients within 7 days of the first course of chemotherapy. No correlations between oral mucositis and specific microorganisms were assessed.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed99    
    Printed1    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded21    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal