|Year : 2012 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 117
From the desk of Prof. Shadab Mohammad (HOD Department of Omfs) K G Medical University, Lucknow
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University (Erstwhile K.G.M.C.), Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Date of Web Publication||4-May-2013|
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University (Erstwhile K.G.M.C.), Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Mohammad S. From the desk of Prof. Shadab Mohammad (HOD Department of Omfs) K G Medical University, Lucknow. Natl J Maxillofac Surg 2012;3:117
|How to cite this URL:|
Mohammad S. From the desk of Prof. Shadab Mohammad (HOD Department of Omfs) K G Medical University, Lucknow. Natl J Maxillofac Surg [serial online] 2012 [cited 2020 Feb 23];3:117. Available from: http://www.njms.in/text.asp?2012/3/2/117/111339
There is famous saying that a job well started is half the work done, well, we have started alright, indexed with PubMed, but here ends the beginning! What lies ahead is the other half of a long-long, tough road that is citation, indexing, impact factor.
The purpose of our editorial is to clarify our Maxillofacial fraternity about citation, indexing and impact factor for providing the quality and better prospect of National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery.
Indexing is inclusion of scientific publication in to the International Bibliographic Citation database. The first measure of indexing is the scale and scope of the coverage of journal. Each reference at the end of article is a citation, citation count is the frequency of an article cited by other article citations are acknowledgement of intellectual debt. - Henry Small. A citation index a kind of bibliographic database, an index of citation between publications.
| Major Citation Indexing Services|| |
- Institute for Scientific Information (ISI): Citation indexing has long been dominated by the ISI, which is now part of Thomson Reuters.
- Scopus is one of the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature and web sources with smart tools to track, analyze and visualize research.
- Cite Seer is both a citation engine and a digital library. It provides citation, citation graph analysis, related document retrieval and other searching of scientific literature.
- Google Scholar provides citation and search of scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources.
- EBSCO host is one of the world's foremost, most-used, premium, reference database service.
- Compendex (Engineering Index, COMPuterized ENgineering inDEX) is the computerized version of the Engineering Index and is one of the most comprehensive engineering literature databases. 
| Bibliometrics|| |
Bibliometrics are methods used to measure an influence of an impact of a scientific paper. Different methods of bibilometrics are citation analysis, content analysis: Creating thesauri; measuring frequencies; exploring author affiliations; and measuring usage by readers.Citation analysis is done by using Citation Count, H-index, i10-index, Download Counts, Keywords Plus.
| Journal Impact Factor|| |
Journal Impact Factor (JIF) is the average number of citations per article per year. It is an indication of the importance and uptake of that research, denoting the relative importance of a journal within its field, like journals with higher impact factors are deemed to be more important than those with lower ones. Impact factors are generally calculated yearly.
It measures the number of papers in a journal that have never been cited.
Citation Performance Per Paper Online (C3PO)
The C3PO of an ISI journal on any given day is defined as 'C3PO = Total citations to a journal/total papers published in a journal.'
| References|| |
|1.||Nigam A, Nigam PK. Citation Index and Impact factor. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2012;78:511-6. |
| Authors|| |